Charles Dickens: David Copperfield/ Great Expectations
|Publication Date||July 2013|
|Formats||Paperback Ebook (PDF) Hardcover|
David Copperfield and Great Expectations are among Charles Dickens's most famous novels. In both books, the hero tells the vivid and absorbing tale of his education by life, presents a rich range of characters and scenes, and tackles profound moral, social and psychological themes.
Part I of this essential study:
• provides lucid and penetrating analyses of key passages
• discusses the crucial topics of patriarchy, class, obsession, eccentricity, death, breakdown and recovery
• summarizes the methods of analysis and offers suggestions for further work.
Part II supplies key background material, including:
• an account of Dickens's life and works
• a survey of historical, cultural and literary contexts
• samples of significant criticism.
Also featuring a valuable Further Reading section, this volume provides readers with the critical and analytical skills which will enable them to enjoy and explore both novels for themselves.