The French Cinema Book is an accessible and innovative survey of key topics in French cinema from the 1890s to the twenty-first century.
This multi-authored volume proposes new insights into familiar areas and sets out a fresh agenda for the study and appreciation of French cinema:
• Who are the men and women who have made French cinema happen?
• What is the business culture in which French cinema has evolved?
• How has technological change effected artistic and commercial innovation?
• What have been the most popular and the most experimental forms?
• What has French cinema shown us of France, its society, its citizens, its concerns?
• How has the spectator's experience of film-going changed in the last 100 years?
• How have debates about film reflected cinema's unique place in French culture?
The book combines historical context and background information with detailed discussion of case-studies, analysis of films, recommendations for further reading and online resources.
The French Cinema Book is addressed to all lovers of French cinema, students and teachers, specialists and fans.