Higher Education in the American West, 1818 to the Present
Editors: Goodchild, L., Jonsen, R., Limerick, P., Longanecker, D. (Eds.)
- No other volumes with this subject matter and scope exist
- Addresses seven major public policy issues in higher education: student access, federal research funding, state governance, state financing, state tuitions, distance education and technology, and the role of community colleges
- Provides both a regional overview and detailed studies of a third of the US states
- Crucial for anyone looking to read about higher education either in the West specifically or the USA overall
- Chapters can be used individually or together by administrators, legislators, and policymakers of all kinds
- Includes contributions from top scholars and leaders in the field
Buy this book
- Hardcover $185.00
price for USA
- ISBN 978-1-137-39987-8
- Free shipping for individuals worldwide
- Online orders shipping within 2-3 days.
- About this book
This two-volume set brings renowned historians and policy analysts together with university leaders to provide an unparalleled, comprehensive, and accessible discussion of the full history and key present-day policies of higher education in the American West, spanning from North Dakota and the mountain West to Alaska and Hawaii.
- About the authors
Lester F. Goodchild is Distinguished Professor of International and Comparative Education and Advisor to the Provost at the University of Massachusetts Boston, USA, and Professor of Education, Emeritus, at Santa Clara University, USA.
Richard W. Jonsen is former Executive Director of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education, USA. He currently teaches English as a Second Language at Front Range Community College, USA.
Patty Limerick is Faculty Director and Chair of the Board of the Center of the American West at the University of Colorado, USA, where she is also Professor of History.
David A. Longanecker is President of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education, USA.
"The editors and the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education are to be commended for the substantive and cogent narrative and analysis presented. Scholars interested in regional history and public policy will eagerly embrace these works." - Amy Wells Dolan, Associate Dean and Associate Professor of Higher Education, University of Mississippi, USA
"Embracing both excellence and expansive opportunity, the American West inspired unprecedented achievements in public higher education, a story well told in Higher Education in the American West: Regional History and State Contexts. Its companion volume, Public Policy Challenges Facing Higher Education in the American West, sets forth the challenges confronting educators and policy leaders in the West and invites their response." Paul Lingenfelter, past President, State Higher Education Executive Officers
- Bibliographic Information
- Book Title
- Higher Education in the American West, 1818 to the Present
- L. Goodchild
- R. Jonsen
- P. Limerick
- D. Longanecker
- Palgrave Macmillan US
- Copyright Holder
- Palgrave Macmillan, a division of Nature America Inc.
- Hardcover ISBN
- Edition Number
- Number of Pages