Authors: Sargeant, A.
- Original approach to the film based on archival research
- A key film of 1960s British cinema
- Richly illustrated with images from the film as well as fine art to which the film refers
Buy this book
- Softcover $19.95
price for USA
- ISBN 978-1-84457-382-0
- Free shipping for individuals worldwide
- Online orders shipping within 2-3 days.
- About this book
Amy Sargeant's illuminating study of Joseph Losey's The Servant (1963) provides a detailed discussion of the film's production and reception history, as well as a textual analysis that focuses on Harold Pinter's adaptation of Maugham's novella; the film's use of architecture and interior design to establish character and relationships.
- About the authors
AMY SARGEANT Reader in Film at the University of Warwick, UK. Her publications include British Cinema: a critical history, BFI, 2005; British Historical Cinema: History, Heritage and the Costume Film (co-edited with Claire Monk), Routledge, 2001; Adventures in Motion Pictures: the story so far, in A. Auletina (ed.), Novelisations from Film, Udine: Forum, 2006, and British National Cinema, in J. Nelmes (ed.), An Introduction to Film Studies, Routledge, 2003.