A Closer Look at US Politics
The results of the controversial 2016 election floored a global audience, which was only just recovering from Brexit in June. Now, the world watches as the 45th President of the United States navigates hot-button topics in domestic policy as well as America’s place in international relations.
Follow the Palgrave team as we present research from across the Social Sciences providing distinct viewpoints on several of the issues that will be the focus of these next four years, including gun control, immigration, identity politics, and more. The unprecedented election also offers an opportunity for reflection, as scholars across our program look back on the legacy and policies of the Obama administration as well as that of presidents before him. We hope the below resources not only provide insight but also spark further discussion about the past, present and future of American politics during President Donald Trump's term.
From our Authors
Read original articles from authors on new politics, policymaking, and more.
Free Book Chapters
Access these free-to-read book chapters until May 31.
Journal Articles on U.S. Politics
We are proud to share a selection of articles from across our journals in the Social Sciences offering research and information as the United States moves into a new era. These articles are all free to read until May 31!
Guest edited by Philippe J Maarek, this special issue compares political campaign communication in the United States and in France in recent years.
American Journal of Cultural Society
- Discourse of generations: The influence of cohort, period and ideology in Americans’ talk about same-sex marriage
Contemporary Political Theory
- Two spheres of domination: Republican theory, social norms and the insufficiency of negative freedom
Eastern Economic Journal
- Who is Wile E. Coyote? Power, influence and the war on drugs
- Framing identity in Iran: Culture, conflict and the West
- Cuba: Trapped by history – Still?
Interest Groups & Advocacy
- Legality and exploitation: Immigration enforcement and the US migrant labor system
- Los de Adentro, Los de Afuera: Transnational Cuba, “17-D,” and the Cuban-American predicament
Psychoanalysis, Culture & society
- Responsibilization, same-sex marriage, and the end of queer sex
- Object fear: The national dissociation of race and racism in the era of Obama
Social Theory & Health