Understanding the Location of Foreign Direct Investment
Authors: Jones, Jonathan, Wren, Colin
- Demonstrates the changing regional location of manufacturing and service FDI in the UKUses quantitative techniques to analyse FDI data and draw key findingsSynthesizes a large body of academic work on the location of FDI
Buy this book
- Hardcover $119.99
price for USA
- ISBN 978-1-137-43197-4
- Free shipping for individuals worldwide
- Usually dispatched within 3 to 5 business days.
- About this book
This book brings together previous work by the authors that explores the location of foreign direct investment. It uses a broad range of approaches and quantitative techniques. The issues that are addressed concern the changing nature of FDI location, its determinants, and the role of policy in attracting FDI. The chapters of this book focus on the UK experience, but also analyse the location determinants at a European level. The authors present expert analysis that charts the increase in FDI since the mid-1980s and examines the shift in manufacturing and service location, arguing that these result from policy changes and the creation of the European Single Market. Overall, the book finds that the regional benefit of FDI location is unlikely to be long-lasting, owing both to the nature of plant reinvestment and to the effect of agglomeration economics on FDI location.
- About the authors
Jonathan Jones is Lecturer in Economics at Newcastle University, UK. His research is in empirical applied microeconomics, focusing on the location and effect of foreign direct investment. His work has been published in numerous economics and regional science journals, and he is co-author of an earlier book on FDI and the regional economy.
Colin Wren is Professor of Economics at Newcastle University, UK. His research is in regional economics, focusing on the interface between government and industry, and its implications for economic development. He has published extensively, serving on national and international bodies. He is a project leader for the recent ESRC Spatial Economics Research Centre.
- Bibliographic Information
- Book Title
- Understanding the Location of Foreign Direct Investment
- Jonathan Jones
- Colin Wren
- Series Title
- Palgrave Advances in Regional and Urban Economics
- Palgrave Macmillan UK
- Copyright Holder
- The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s)
- Hardcover ISBN
- Series ISSN
- Edition Number
- Number of Pages
- XIV, 327
- Number of Illustrations
- 22 b/w illustrations, 1 illustrations in colour