Ma Theory and the Creative Management of Innovation
Editors: Kodama, Mitsuru (Ed.)
- - Demonstrates Ma thinking either consciously or unconsciously to achieve innovations in a wide range of creative activities such as architecture and the arts.
- - Examines the result of research spanning dissimilar academic disciplines into innovation based on Ma thinking carried out through collaboration between scholars involved in business, architecture and the arts.
- - Presents detailed case studies and theoretical concepts of innovation activities at the micro level in business workplaces as well as design and artistic innovations in architecture and the arts.
Buy this book
- Hardcover $149.99
price for USA
- ISBN 978-1-137-59354-2
- Free shipping for individuals worldwide
- Immediate ebook access, if available*, with your print order
- Usually dispatched within 3 to 5 business days.
- About this book
This book focuses on the core theoretical concept of “Ma thinking” - an idea that serves as springboard for the thoughts and actions of distinguished practitioners, innovators, and researchers. The theoretical and practical importance of the Ma concept in new innovation activities lies in the thinking and activities of the leading practitioners. However, there is little academic research clarifying these characteristic dynamic transition mechanisms and the synthesis of diverse paradoxes through recursive activities between formal and informal organizations to achieve integration of dissimilar knowledge.
- About the authors
Mitsuru Kodama is a Professor of Innovation and Technology Management in the College of Commerce and Graduate School of Business Administration at Nihon
“Japan has a culture of Ma, an intersubjective space where new phenomena or events to emerge. The concept of Ma is manifested in many facets of traditional Japanese arts and beyond. Based on the multidisciplinary approach ranging from business, architecture to the fine arts, this book delves into the dynamics of innovation through the lens of Ma. The practical theory and case studies of Ma in this book provide new insights for knowledge creation in companies and organizations.” (Dr Ikujiro Nonaka, Professor Emeritus, Hitotsubashi University, Japan)
- Bibliographic Information
- Book Title
- Ma Theory and the Creative Management of Innovation
- Mitsuru Kodama
- Palgrave Macmillan US
- Copyright Holder
- The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s)
- Hardcover ISBN
- Edition Number
- Number of Pages
- XIII, 296
- Number of Illustrations
- 11 illustrations in colour
*immediately available upon purchase as print book shipments may be delayed due to the COVID-19 crisis. ebook access is temporary and does not include ownership of the ebook. Only valid for books with an ebook version. Springer Reference Works are not included.