The Tales of Hoffmann
Authors: Germano, William
- First singleauthored study of this classic Powell & Pressburger film
- Richly illustrated with images from the film
- Author is a highprofile writer of two bestselling guides for academic authors and graduate students and an authority on both cinema and opera
Buy this book
- Softcover $19.99
price for USA
- ISBN 978-1-84457-446-9
- Free shipping for individuals worldwide
- Online orders shipping within 2-3 days.
- About this book
The Tales of Hoffmann (1951) is a unique and important film, both in the history of British cinema and in the history of interdisciplinary art-making. It is the first full-throttle presentation of an opera on screen: a Technicolor exploration of romance, fantasy, and failure, more danced than sung.
- About the authors
William P. Germano is Professor of English Literature and Dean of the faculty of humanities and social sciences at the Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art in New York, USA. He is author of Getting It Published (2nd ed., 2008) and From Dissertation to Book (2nd ed., 2013). He is currently writing a book on Shakespeare and opera.