Body and the Construction of a World, from Heidegger through Lacan
Authors: Tombras, Christos
- Opens up a dialogue between Martin Heidegger’s philosophy of being and Jacques Lacan’s post-Freudian metapsychology
- Reveals Lacan's rupture with traditional philosophy and how it builds on Heidegger's critique
- Describes the ontological recursive construction of a shared ontic world
Buy this book
- Hardcover $89.99
price for USA
- ISBN 978-3-030-13661-1
- Free shipping for individuals worldwide
- Usually dispatched within 3 to 5 business days.
- About this book
This book explores the themes within, and limits of, a dialogue between Martin Heidegger’s philosophy of being and Jacques Lacan’s post-Freudian metapsychology. It argues that a conceptual bridging between the two is possible, and lays the foundations of that bridge, starting with Heidegger and proceeding through the work of Lacan. After presenting basic aspects of Heidegger’s ontology, Tombras focuses on his incisive critique of modern science and psychoanalysis, and argues that psychoanalytic theory is vulnerable to this critique. The response comes from Lacan’s re-reading and recasting of fundamental Freudian insights, and his robust post-Freudian metapsychology. A broad discussion of Lacan’s work follows, to reveal its rupture with traditional philosophy, and show how it builds on and then reaches beyond Heidegger’s critique.
This book is informed by the terminology, insights, concepts, hypotheses, and conclusions of both thinkers. It discusses time and the body in jouissance; the emergence of the divided subject and signifierness; truth, agency and the event; and being and mathematical formalisation. Tombras describes the ontological recursive construction of a shared ontic world and discusses the limits and historicity of this world.
- About the authors
Christos Tombras is a supervising psychoanalyst with a Lacanian orientation, practicing in London, UK. Dr. Tombras is a member of the Centre for Freudian Analysis and Research, UK, and lectures, runs workshops and facilitates reading groups. His main research interest is in a dialogue between continental philosophy and psychoanalysis. He has published in both English and Greek.
- Bibliographic Information
- Book Title
- Discourse Ontology
- Book Subtitle
- Body and the Construction of a World, from Heidegger through Lacan
- Christos Tombras
- Series Title
- The Palgrave Lacan Series
- Palgrave Macmillan
- Copyright Holder
- The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG
- Hardcover ISBN
- Edition Number
- Number of Pages
- IX, 232
- Number of Illustrations
- 11 b/w illustrations